Monday, January 21, 2008

Observations on Buddhism and what we can learn

Currently I am reading a book entitled Bone Mountain written by Eliot Pattison. It is a fictional book based on the real life struggles of life in Tibet under Chinese rule. I was drawn to this book after reading a quote from the authors web site in which he states:

I write about Tibet not because I am a Buddhist but because I am not a Buddhist, because the ultimate treasures of Tibet are ones that transcend religion or philosophy, lessons that the rest of the world needs desperately to learn. Converting to the cause of Tibet does not mean a conversion to Buddhism, it means a conversion to compassion, self-awareness, human rights and political equality.


You mean you have no ulterior motive to explore compassion and human rights? No reason to help others, you just feel it is the right thing to do? No ten step process to get millions of dollars? I like this author already, regardless of his faith he is called to compassion and love with no motives or baggage, which is a rare thing in this day and age.

So while this is a riveting fictional book I would be amiss if I didn't reflect on the nuggets of knowledge this book contains. Since it is probably no secret I am of the Christian faith I do reflect on them with my faith in mind just as a Buddhist would reflect on them with his/her faith.

The following is just my personal observation, things I think I think, reasons to listen to all, nuggets to take you deeper in faith (But not all the nuggets in the book), or nuggets to dismiss entirely, do what you wish. So with out further ado...

5 things I think I think (thanks Peter King) about Buddhism, Bone Mountain and what Christians could learn and use.

1. Look Forward: There is a quote in the book about "stop being the seeker you were, and become the seeker you want to be". I love this quote because I think too often everyone gets held back or stunted in their walk in faith because of past sins and transgressions. The Christian faith places emphasis on forgiveness of sins, and rightly so, but all too often I thing we "seek" to right our past sins and commit no more rather than "seeking" God. I have being praying in the past few days, "Lord let me seek you deeper"

2. The Mystery of the Soul and God are most important: In one of the chapters an Elder Monk talks about "the unimportant mysteries of the surface world when you should be looking to the mysteries of the soul". I add "and God" at the end of this sentence because it is my reflection and commentary. But what I like about this is not getting caught up in the unimportant of the surface world. I hear so many times "I am too busy" or "I just need to finish this first" or "Maybe tomorrow". People are putting off their spiritual life, their relationship with God, for the report that is due tomorrow, the cup of coffee at Starbucks and yes even the football game on Sunday afternoon. By no means am I saying never go to a coffee shop or watch football, but do put prayer and God at the top of your schedule. Search your soul, find the deeper things in life, in your soul and your relationship with God and you will never find them if you don't change your focus and time.

3. Pray often: I am amazed at how often the monks, elders, and Tibetans pray in this book. Need to make a decision, pray, something bad happens, pray, attackers coming, pray, pray, pray. I only wish Christians prayed as much. We seem to rely too much on our own understanding, our own self will, and our own righteousness. We pray when we need something big like "Lord cure John of cancer" or "Lord help me out in my marriage" but when it comes to small things we can control those, no need to pray. I don't understand this logic, "God you can cure cancer but you can't help me change a flat tire, get me somewhere safely, protect me from danger, help me in decisions etc." WHAT?!?!

4. Sometimes you must wait patiently: I got this little nugget in the beginning of the book. The monks are preparing for a journey to take a sacred artifact back to its original home. During the preparation a friend is mysteriously and violently killed right in front of them. So do they round up the horses and head for the hills? No they do the opposite, they pray, reflect and do their necessary rituals upon the death of their friend. Too often we are reactionary and our reactions come in a split second and we act. Rarely do we ask "Why did this happen?" or "What does God want me to do?" or "How does this relate with my walk?" No we react, we run for the hills or more bluntly we run to the next thing, the next quick fix to our problems, the next thing that will make us happy. WE NEED TO SLOW DOWN, PRAY AND REFLECT. God's knowledge, the right knowledge is not found in a quick text message, it is found through reflection, prayer and.......devotion.

5. You must be devout: Spinning a prayer wheel hours upon end, waiting for a river to unfreeze to get sand, rebuilding a monastery by hand for 10 years, waiting for a healer to come these are a few examples from the book. I was amazed at the devotion of the monks and Tibetans in the book. I was left wondering "Where is the Christians praying all night?" and "Why is the majority of our faith 'Sunday for an hour'?" Another thing I took from this book is my devotion to the Lord. Sure I read countless theology books, I pray often, I go to church, I help others, I lead in the church but would I be willing to sit in the mountains if God asked? In other words would I still do something if it meant I received no satisfaction from it. Would I still be devout even if it meant I would certainly feel pain, confusion or any other unwanted emotion. I believe I would as I have been through the mini-episodes of pain, confusion, suffering etc. and still connected with my Lord. But devotion does not stop there, it means giving ALL of yourself to the Lord WITHOUT ATTACHMENTS or STIPULATIONS. You will be devout in the good times and the bad. You will be devout drinking a cup of coffee and in church. You will be devout in your praying as well as your giving. You will be devout in everything you do.

So after probably my longest post to date you can take what you want or nothing at all. You can call me crazy or smart. You can put these things into practice or keep plugging along. I am only here to be the Hands and help you along your walk with the Lord.

No comments: